HISTORY OF TOKAT
ALI PASHA MOSQUE
It is located in the city center. It was built in 1572 during the reign of Sultan Selim II. It is a complex consisting of a mosque, a Turkish bath and a mausoleum. The tombs of Ali Pasha and Mustafa Bey, his son, are also in the backyard of the mosque. It reflects the feature of 16th century Ottoman architecture and Mimar Sinan's style, the mosque has onlya single dome and a minaret surrounded by square walls. There is a saying which goes: ''The door of the Meydan Mosque and the architecture of the Ali Pasha Mosque are uniqeue.''
TOKAT CASTLEIt was built on steep rocks near the city center. The castle, which was built for defending the city, was also used as a prison for well-known figures in the past. It was renovated first by the Seljuks and then by the Ottomans. There is a mosque and warehouses and the commander's mansion on the top of the castle.
It is known that there is a 362-step stair known as the Deer Road, which connect the castle to the city center. It is believed to be constructed in the 5th or 6th century B.C. It provides a magnificent scenery of Tokat. The panaroma of Sulusokak, an area mainly consisting of historical buildings, creates a nostalgic feeling. There is Ayar Rock above the highest tower of the castle.
Constructed in 1631, Tashan is a major Ottoman structure. There is a big inner court at the center of the two-storey inn, which was constructed of cut stone and brick as a square structure. It has 112 rooms and a mosque in addition to porches looking to the court at both floors. Tashan adds a different flavor to the area where it is located. A project, aimed at transforming the building into a nostalgic caravansary without changing its architectural features, is under way.